Beginning in 1990, the Santa Monica Bay Sailing Foundation (SMBSF), a 501(c)(3) corporation, has changed lives through the sport of sailing and other boating activities for participants from the Santa Monica Bay area, including Redondo Beach, Westlake and Marina del Rey. In addition, over the past twenty years the SMBSF has partnered with several local charities and raised over $500,000 to help the general public. All meetings are open to the public and are held at 7:00pm on the second Monday of every month at Del Rey Yacht Club, 13900 Palawan Way, Marina del Rey, California 90292. Please contact us first if you wish to attend.
The Foundation is proud of its ability to develop and fund innovative programs promoting the sport of sailing for qualified participants of all ages and abilities, thereby making it one of California’s leading sailing community support groups. SMBSF funds summer scholarship programs as well as competitive sailing teams at DRYC, CYC, SMWYC, and KHYC.
In 1999, SMBSF was awarded the prestigious David Poe Service Award given by the Association of Santa Monica Bay Yacht Clubs (ASMBYC) for its efforts in finding funding for the many important programs throughout the region, including:
- Funding scholarships in youth sailing classes designed for young sailors
- Funding outreach programs for “at risk” and underserved youth
- Support of Scholastic Sailing teams at High School and College levels
- Support for specialized training of youth, instructors and coaches
- Increasing the quality of equipment in local junior sailing programs
- Support of competitive sailing at local, national and international levels
- Supporting marine and ocean based programs to further the understanding of the environment and our natural resources
You can read the Foundation’s by-laws at this link (PDF). Our current Board of Directors can be found at this link. For more information about the Foundation’s activities, please use this contact link.
Santa Monica Bay Sailing Foundation
13900 Palawan Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292